I'm trying out a new way of doing my reviews and we'll see how things go as the season progresses. Hope you like it.
Note: I really wanted to add in some caps for you all in this review, but I simply ran out of time. I've got the caps made and ready to go, they're just not uploaded yet. I'll post them soon! Hopefully, I'll do better about getting my review posted of the next episode and caps will be in there.
* Dean Free of the Mark, but now under the spell of The Darkness??? At first I wasn't sure if Dean was remembering all of his encounter with her, but after a 2nd & 3rd viewing, I can see that he does. Which means he isn't telling Sam everything. *sigh* But while he's saying let's go put the Darkness back it seems like Dean must be under her control...or something. That whole "we're bound" thing thanks to the Mark. So I'm not quite sure what to think here yet.
* Sam I liked Sam's plan to get the rabids to chase him so Dean and Jenna & the baby could get away, but did he have to go and get himself infected? Gah! And of course he doesn't tell Dean about it. Grrrr.
* The Boys Well, more lies between the brothers...it's the Winchester way, after all. :P Dean is keeping things from Sam about his encounter with the Darkness and Sam doesn't tell Dean he's infected. I like their scene at the hospital about their plan of action. Dean reverts to what he always does - take charge of the situation and kill whatever is evil. I like that Sam is the one that seems much more calm about their circumstances and realizes they can't keep doing what they've always done. There are other ways.
* Impala That car is built like a tank! Can take the cloud of Darkness and keep on tickin'. And look totally beautiful hours later like nothing ever happened. lol
* Castiel Oh, Cas! Poor angel suffering from Rowena's Mad Dog spell and on the run! It appears as though he is able to somewhat control himself though. He warned that kid with the shotgun and didn't kill him. Obviously calling for angel help was a bad idea. Dean learned that in Season 9, Cas...
* Crowley The King lives! I tell ya, Crowley (like Meg for the longest time) is a survivor. He escapes his meatsuit, finds another, and then gets his old one back. But he doesn't forget to have a little fun along the way. It's good to be King! lol
* The Darkness/Amara Love how mysterious she is. And sneaking herself into that baby is an interesting choice. Will she age fast? I mean, if she stays a baby for a while, it's really going to limit her, I would think.
* Monster / Big Bad The Darkness/Amara and the sickness that effects some of the people of Superior, Nebraska.
* Angels in the Outfield Two of them arrive after Cas's call for help and then chain him up and blindfold him. This does not look good! Oh, they also moved the Heaven Portal after Metatron's escape. So where is it now???
* Devils on the Loose Crowley's minions were able to guard the King's meatsuit plus use a witch to undo Rowena's spell that locked him there.
* Walking Wounded Jenna wounded in the side by rebar and Sam gets bled on & infected by a rabid nurse.
* Death Count 19 or 20
* Boy Melodrama Not so much this time around, except for Dean really not wanting Sam to be a lure to draw the rabids away so he, Jenna, and the baby could escape. But he gives in anyway.
* Oh Crap Moment Sam getting infected and Cas getting kidnapped. Eeep!
* What the Hell? (Plot Holes / Mistakes) How on earth did Sam even find Dean in that field??? He could have been in any direction and was about a mile away??? Sam must have special Dean-radar. And much like Dean getting turned into a vampire in S6, Sam gets infected in this ep by merely getting someone to bleed on him. In both cases the boys didn't ingest the blood, so how did it really effect them? Just through the skin?
* You look familiar (returning guest stars) So, so many! The main ones are the kid w/the shotgun who finds Cas ("Kneel before Todd!!! from S4), the gal playing Jenna who was the Alpha Vamp's daughter in S7, and the actress who was Crowley's temporary meatsuit, who we previously saw in S4. Go check out the rest over on SuperWiki.
* Beauty Shot Dean laying unconscious on the ground, in a field of flowers.
* Director's Shot The boys in the Impala driving right towards the camera.
* Outstanding Sound/Makeup/Visual FX Loved the infected veining on people. Very cool!
* Favorite Location That hospital...I feel I should know where that is, but I'm probably wrong. lol
Dean: She saved me.
Sam: What? Who?
Dean: The Darkness.
SAM: And she told you she was the darkness.
DEAN: No. She was wearing a nametag. What do you think? She thanked me.
SAM: For what?
DEAN: Setting her free.
SAM: You didn't set her free. I set her free.
DEAN: Does it matter? I mean, yeah, you said the spell, but I had the Mark, so lock and key.
SAM: So, what, now she feels indebted to you or something?
DEAN: I don't know. She's a Darkness. Does she feel anything?
SAM: And that's all she said? Thanks?
DEAN: Yeah. She was weird. But she had this energy about her, this -- this focus. But, yeah, not a talker.
SAM: So we know jack.
DEAN: Well, we know what she looks like, and we know that she's evil. The question is, what does she know? I mean, she's been locked away since the beginning of time. Does she even know what a cheeseburger is? All I know is that we set her free, and we're gonna put her back in, no matter what it takes. (Dean gets in the car, which is still stuck down in the pothole.) What the . . . Just gonna let me get in the car?
SAM: You were on a roll.
Jenna: Show me some skin!
Jenna: Both of you!
Dean: Is this like a Magic Mike moment?
SAM: This is the darkness, right? It's got to be.
DEAN: So, what, she shows up and everybody goes "28 Days Later"? We didn't.
SAM: Yeah, but I was in the car, and you were -- you said she protected you. So, I mean maybe it wasn't her. Maybe it was the smoke, and anybody who was outside, like the road crew, they were exposed. I mean, you saw that. That wasn't human.
DEAN: So, what? The smoke mutated 'em? Sure, why not? Just a couple hours ago, I killed Death. I'm pretty much open for anything. But mutated into what? All right, you know what, one thing at a time. Let's just get her some help and then we'll deal with whatever comes next.
Amara: I like it here, with you. I haven't felt this peaceful in a long, long time.
Dean: Let's get something straight I'm not here to bring you peace, I know what you are.
Amara: Really? I've been gone so long, I didn't think anyone remembered.
Dean: Well, Death painted a hell of a picture.
Amara: I don't know this Death, and he doesn't know me.
Castiel: Brothers, sisters. I know I have no right, I have no standing to ask you anything, but these are desperate times so ask I must. I confess my transgressions, and I will accept whatever punishment you dole out, now I ask you to help me. Please, save me from doing worse.
Dean: Why do I get the feeling that is going to bite us in the ass.
Demon Minion: It's just you barely escaped assassination, you're arguably on the run from the most powerful witch on earth, not to mention an angel of Heaven, and uh...
Crowley: And uh?
Demon Minion: You didn't call for help until after the orgy?
Crowley: I apologize... for nothing.
DEAN: We have a plan, okay? It's the same plan as it's always been. In order to get out, we go through.
SAM: And? How's that been working for us?
Dean: We can't save Cas if we're stuck in some hospital, okay. Just like I can't strap on a time machine, go back and tell Cain to stick that Mark up his ass, or stop you from releasing the Darkness. Now have we made mistakes? Yes, hell yes. And we can analyze each and everyone one of them over a couple of frosty's when we are old and farting sawdust and out of this room! Right now all I can do is gear up, go out and save that frickin' baby, which is exactly what I'm gonna do.
Sam: When did we forget how to do this?
Sam: Dean if you don't change right now, all of our crap is gonna keep repeating itself.
Dean: Okay, I don't even-what?
Sam: This, this kill first question later. What happened to us? Hunting things -- were good at that, sure we're great at that. But that's only half of the bumper sticker, man.
SAM: Saving people means all of the people, Dean. Not just that baby. Not just each other. I unleashed a force on this world that could destroy it . . . to save you.
DEAN: And I told you not to.
SAM: And I'd do it again. In a second, I would do it again. And that is what I'm talking about. This isn't on you. It is on us. We have to change.
SAM: You said it, Dean. We broke this.
DEAN: Yeah, we broke this, okay? We did.
SAM: I heard it in your voice when you agreed to take that child. I get it. You do what you do. But you've got to let me do what I do, too.
Crowley: Daddy's home. What?
Demon Minion #2: Sir, there are rumors from Hell.
Demon Minion #2: The Darkness has been released.
Crowley: The Darkness? Please. Myth. It's a bedtime story, something daddy demons threaten toddler demons with to get them to eat their vegetables. Even if it was true, what's the concern? Darkness, King of Hell -- natural allies.
Demon Minion #1: It's just something happened sir, in the Cage.
Demon Minion #1: They said it sounded like a frightened animal, all of Hell heard like someone was going crazy. The rumor is that Michael or Lucifer, one of them is trying to warn us...
Crowley: About the Darkness. Ridiculous.
Demon Minion #2: Except... half of Hell is sort of freaking out sir, what do we do?
Dean: If you're as bad as they say you are, why haven't you hurt me?
Amara: For the same reason that you'll never hurt me. We're bound, Dean. We'll always be bound. You helped me, I helped you. No matter where I am, who I am, we will always help each other.
Thoughts & Theories --
So is Dean going to be compelled by Amara to help her?
Will Sam tell Dean that he's infected?
Is Cas going to survive the Mad Dog spell or his captors?
OMG Sounds from the Cage in Hell??? Ooooh!!!! *bounces* :D
Lots of good questions!
No, I don't have any answers. lol
Was this a great season premiere? Hmmm...not quite as explosive as Season 10's in my opinion. It was good, but not OMG-this-is-amazing great. Thing is, I haven't been able to figure out why. It's really bugging me.
Despite all that, it was a very solid episode and the boys are back and the show is ready for a landmark 11th season. I'm ready! :)