* Dean Dean is still clearly under Amara's spell (which is what I'm calling it until we learn different). There's a connection between them that Jenna and Crowley notice and he gets real defensive when Crowley tries to take her away.
* Sam This episode is basically Sam's show and he gets a chance to show off his smarts and skills. It was cool how it was him raiding the hardware store at the beginning, but we didn't even know that until he met up with the dude in the alley. And figuring out the holy oil cure was great! Now we know why the show so carefully showed Dean packing that jug into the duffel bag in the season opener. ;) Sam praying for God's help was lovely...and the fact that he wanted Dean spared, that he deserves a life (oh, Sam but you do too!). But I'm with Sam about the hell-flashbacks after his prayer...what does it mean???
* The Boys Totally apart for pretty much the entire episode until the very end. It's interesting that Sam not only survived the sickness, but saved others, while Dean not only lost Amara but ended up with 2 dead bodies - Jenna and her grandmother.
* Impala Baby had some nice shots in this ep...at night and in the bright sunshine. Pretty!
* Castiel Poor Cas! Suffering from Rowena's spell AND being tortured by fellow angels. They didn't even know what they were doing with that head gear thing! Sheesh! And then poor Hannah shows up, Cas figures out it was all a set-up, and then Hannah is killed in the fight! Bye, dear Hannah...we'll miss you in either body. *sigh* Cas then shows up in the Bunker where the boys find him. Do they just leave a back door open on that place or something? Not very safe.
* Crowley Father Crowley! LOL So deliciously helpful with info. about Amara eating souls, yet willing to turn his back on Dean's former friendship to pursue his own agenda. Evil Crowley is back!!! Guess the bromance is over.
* The Darkness/Amara From creepy baby to even creepier little girl. So I'm guessing she was able to "grow up" thanks to Jenna's soul? She did want to be fed after all. That was a great bit with the blocks in the wall, btw. :)
* Monster / Big Bad Amara and Crowley...and those douchey angels. Grrrr.
* Angels in the Outfield Efram, Jonah, Hannah (RIP), and Cas.
* Devils on the Loose Just Crowley.
* Walking Wounded Sam, during most of the ep due to the Darkness sickness. Dean gets tossed into a closet by Crowley. Oh! And of course poor Cas suffering from the spell and being tortured.
* Death Count 3 angels and 3 humans.
* Boy Melodrama Really kind of absent again...though Dean called Sam and was asking how he was doing.
* Oh Crap Moment Amara putting the blocks into the wall and soulless!Jenna killing her grandma.
* Favorite Moments/Scenes/Lines
Love it when Jenna's grandma tells her she looks like "Poop on parade." LOL
And this line/edit was brilliant!!!
Barb: Well who are we gonna call?
Dean: Ghostbusters. Jenna, hey. Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down. What's wrong?
Loved the Reaper Billie singing "O, Death" and the shadow of her hand on the floor reaching out to a dead person's hand. Great moment visually and musically!
Speaking of music...I know some people have complained about the new music score during Dean's walk down the hallway to get to Amara and then back to find Crowley gone, but I really loved it. The show is upping the ante bigtime this season and this new music, plus the really intense fight scenes are proof of that. I like it! :D
* What the Hell? (Plot Holes / Mistakes) Cas shows up in the Bunker in his tie and trenchcoat. Now I know show wants to keep him in that look, but would spell-controlled Cas really have the frame of mind to put those clothes back on after being tortured and losing Hannah?
* You look familiar (returning guest stars) Uh, see 11x01 for Jenna.
* Beauty Shot Loved all the overhead shots in this ep. I'm a sucker for those!
* Director's Shot Again, that shadow from Billie's hand on the floor was excellent!
* Outstanding Sound/Makeup/Visual FX The visual effects of the black veins burning off of Sam was very cool!
* Favorite Location That street in the opening...I'm thinking Ladner, but I'm not sure. Gah!
Dean: Nice neighborhood.
Jenna: Yeah, I pretty much grew up here. Learned to ride my bike down the road, had my first kiss at that blue house over there, lost my virginity up there.
Dean: I'll bet blue house was pissed.
Jenna: She was.
Jenna (about baby Amara): “You’re so great with her."
Dean: “What can I say, chicks dig me."
Jenna: What about you and Sam, are you gonna be okay?
Dean: Well for us the bar is pretty low.
Sam: So you thinkin' demon?
Dean: Or the kid got infected by something, you know, who knows what was in that giant crazy fart?
Sam: Wow. Vivid, thanks.
Billie: It's over.
Sam: What's over?
Billie: You and Dean dying and coming back again and again. The old Death thought it was funny, but now there is one hard fast rule in this universe. What lives, dies. So the next time you or your brother bite it. Well, you're not going to Heaven or Hell; one of us, and Lord I hope it's me, we're gonna make a mistake and toss you out into the Empty. And nothing comes back from that. I know you're dying, I can feel it. You're unclean, in the Biblical sense. So I'll be seeing you again Sam, seeing you real soon. Name's Billie by the way.
Sam: So, I know it's been a long time but... Dean and I, we've been through a lot of bad, but this is different. This is my fault, and I don't know how to fix it. And if I have to die, I've made my peace with that, but please Dean deserves better. Dean deserves a life. There are people out there, good people... who are going to suffer because of me, and I'm not asking you to clean up my mess. Hell I don't even know you're out there, but if you are, and if you can hear me, I-we need your help God. We need to know there's hope, we need a sign.
Dean: Really? Father Crowley? Really?
Crowley: I'm sorry 'agent pathetic has-been rock star,' did I offend your delicate sensibilities? Where have you been? Your brother and that idiot angel, do you know what they have been doing?
Castiel: The Darkness. It's been locked away since the dawn of creation, and now it's free.
Hannah: God help us.
Castiel: I wouldn't count on it.
Crowley: Whatever's in that house, I can taste the power radiating from it. That thing. It's old. Deep. Dark.
Dean: Where you going?
Crowley: To see the child that eats souls.
Crowley: Oh Dean. Adorable little Dean. I want that child, and I get what I want. You and Sam don't understand, I'm not your bloody sidekick! We've had some good times, so I'm gonna give you one chance. Just one to walk out that door, or I'm gonna take you apart, atom by atom. Do you understand?
Dean: Yeah, weird with a weird cherry on a weird top. We gotta get a maid. You know, one with a little uniform and really big . . . .
Thoughts & Theories --
Loved, loved, loved this ep! Even more than the season opener. The intensity was way up for this one. I usually don't like it when the boys are apart, but sometimes it does work, like in this ep.
So Sam & Dean's lives are really on the line now if Billie's threats are to be believed. No reprieve, no second chances, no deals anymore. Flung into the Empty? Yikes, that doesn't sound good at all! :(
So what are Crowley's intentions with Amara? Surely nothing good...going after Rowena, perhaps? Thing is...will Amara want to work with the King of Hell?